Servings : 6 pieces
6 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
2½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup crushed saltine crackers crumbs or panko breadcrumbs
1½ tsp seasoned salt
1½ tsp onion powder
1½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
4 Tbsp pan drippings
1 tsp ground black pepper divided (Adjust to your taste)
1/2 tsp salt
1 14 oz can evaporated milk
1 cup whole milk plus additional as needed to thin
- Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts to about 1/2-inch in uniform thickness. Season on both sides with seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Sift together the flour, cracker crumbs, 1½ tsp seasoned salt, 1½ tsp onion powder, 1½ tsp garlic powder and smoked paprika. Set aside.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the seasoned flour, then into the egg wash, then back into the seasoned flour. Shake off any excess.
- Place onto a baking pan in a single layer. Refrigerate uncovered for 15 minutes or up to 1 hour to allow the breading to set.
- Visit Chicken Fried Chicken with Peppered Milk Gravy Recipe @ www.melissassouthernstylekitchen.com for full instructions.