Servings : 5 People
1 cup dried great Northern beans or 2 cups of canned beans rinsed (See note)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon unsalted butter divided
1.5 lbs chicken breast or thighs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves minced
1 small yellow onion
2 celery stalks chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cups water
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 cans green chiles 4 ounces each
1 cup half and half see note
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup whole kernel corn optional
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- If you are using dried beans, place beans in the Instant Pot. Add 5 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Close the lid, set valve to sealing position, press “manual” or “pressure cook” setting and set the timer to 35 minutes. If you can soak the beans overnight, set the timer to 25 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will beep and start coming to pressure, which can take 10 to 15 minutes. Once the timer is done, let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally. Once the pressure pin is down, carefully open the lid away from your face. Drain the beans over a colander and set aside. You can make the beans a few days in advance to save time.
- Let the Instant Pot cool down before making the chili.
- Press “saute” setting. Wait until the display read HOT. Add one tablespoon of oil and one tablespoon of butter to the Instant Pot.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides in the Instant Pot. The chicken won’t be cooked through yet. Remove onto a plate.
- Add remaining butter to the Instant Pot. Add garlic, onion and celery and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add oregano, coriander and cumin and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Press “cancel/off” button.
- Visit Instant Pot White Chicken Chili Recipe @ www.crunchycreamysweet.com for full instructions.