Yields : 4 servings
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 sweet potato, peeled, par-cooked and diced (see note on par-cooking)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
4 ounces diced green chiles (canned)
1/3 cup salsa or red enchilada sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large (10-12 inch) cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl combine all of the spices.
- When the skillet is hot add in the chicken and spread into an even layer, then sprinkle with half of the spice blend.
- Sauté the chicken for approximately 3 minutes then add in the onion.
- Continue to cook for several more minutes or until the onion has softened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Visit Mexican Chicken, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Skillet Recipe @ reciperunner.com for full instructions.