Servings : 6
The chicken and marinade :
4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2″ to 2″ pieces (about 1.25kg | 2.75lbs)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
The spice mix :
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp ground coriander
1-1/2 tsp salt, I use Himalayan salt
1-1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
The sauce :
2 tbsp ghee, storebought or homemade
1 large onion, chopped
1 large 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 cup heavy cream, (or full fat coconut milk)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, plus more for garnish
- Make the spice mix by mixing all the spices together in a small bowl.
- Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, yogurt, lime juice, garlic, ginger, and about half the spice mix you just made. Toss until all the pieces of chicken are completely coated in the yogurt mixture and refrigerate for at least an hour, or up to overnight.
- Melt the ghee in a sauté pan set over medium-high heat; add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s slightly softened and golden, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low then stir in the remaining spice mix. Add the crushed tomatoes and water and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover partially and simmer the sauce until slightly thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Visit Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe @ thehealthyfoodie.com for full instructions.